Sunday, February 26

Yet Another Addition

I am pleased to introduce to you the newest member of our family & B&M Farm: Yeller

The Boy has been watching Old Yeller a bunch lately and he had convinced himself that he absolutely needed a dog like that. One that could walk beside him, help chase away wolves, and sleep on his bed. His birthday is right around the corner so we had started to look into finding a Golden Retriever puppy for him. There were a lot of them in SLC so we figured we'd pick one up while we were there. Unfortunately for us, every last one of 'em was sold.  Then Ryan found an ad for a 6 month old puppy. He went to see the pup and if things checked out, he would bring it back and we'd take him back down to Hurricane with us.

When he pulled up my chin almost hit the floor. That was no puppy - not size wise anyway. The Boy came running out to see what his surprise was and wondering what the hell a dog was doing in our car (my words, not his). When we explained that it was his, he reacted like any kid would - running, squealing, laughing.

We all piled into the Jetta and headed South. I'm not sure my parents have stopped laughing at this sight

2 carseats + 2 adults + 1 dog + 1 small German car = 1 LONG drive

We made it home all right and Yeller is growing quite accustomed to the farm life. He likes to go out in the field and eat horse shit. The fresher the better.


He has also learned about chasing cats. He hasn't received a good scratch across the nose yet so he is still quite daring.


The kids love him and he loves them. He has proven to be a great dog so far. He still needs some training but that will come.

Today Yeller found something that he loves about our farm. I mean, really loves. Stubby.


Stubby is our pony that Dad was given about two years ago. Since owning him, Stubbs has gone almost 96%  both deaf & blind. He's up there in age and wasn't expected to make it this long. He just moves slowly up and down the field eating hay, stopping to get a drink, and rubbing his butt on posts.


Anyway, back to the dog... This afternoon I was looking to make sure that they dogs hadn't run off. I notice that Yeller is in the field following Stubby. At first I think this is really sweet because poor Stubby probably gets lonely. Then I think, maybe Yeller is trying to herd him. Then it becomes apparent that herding is not what Yeller had in mind. I appears that Yeller is the lonely one and Stubby is too slow/deaf/blind to care.

First Yeller starts off by sniffing Stubby's leg. Then he moves between the legs. After a good sniff and lick, (wow, this is starting to sound dirty) Yeller assumes the position and commences humping poor Stubby's leg.


I am dumbfounded!

What the hell is going on?!

Why is my dog humping my horse?!

Why is the horse letting my dog hump his leg?!

I tell ya, I'm a little surprised to find out that not only do I have a gay dog, but a gay horse as well.

I go outside and try calling Yeller off but he won't budge. He turns to look at me and then goes right back to business. After a few good laughs I head back inside to give them some privacy.

Four hours later this is still going on.

Sniff - lick - hump - rest - repeat.

I gotta hand it to him, Yeller has got stamina. It should be interesting to see what tomorrow brings. I'll try to get a video of it next time.

I had a meeting at the church this evening and when I arrived the Bishop turns serious and says he needs to speak with me. Once we are out of earshot from the rest of the group he starts laughing and asks if I saw what was going on in my field today (we're neighbors). Turning a million shades of red, I laugh and tell him yes. He continues to laugh and wish me good luck on rectifying that situation.

I wonder what kind of offspring a dog & horse would produce. You know, if it wasn't two dudes...

3 comments:

  1. Uhhh, no video necessary. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a new one, never seen it before, is Yeller fixed yet? So do you have to repent for the crazy stuff in the field or do you get a pass if you can rectify (that's a bad choice of words if you think about it)the situation?

    ReplyDelete