Thursday, March 15

From Ass to Grass

Dad called me up the other day and told me that I ought to think about changing our male goats minds from ass to grass - meaning castration. I hadn't thought too much about de-balling our billy goats since we had just planned on selling them off instead of keeping them around. But dad did have a point. The less time the spend sniffing the ladies the more time the could spend eating.

more eating = bigger goats = more $$$

So I called my go-to man, Farmer John. When I gave him the "ass to grass" line I think the poor guy about choked. Sometimes I forget my language, maybe you've noticed. (Sorry Mom...)

John told me that he'd swing by sometime this week and get 'er done. That day ended up being today just as I was getting dinner on the table. I kissed the boys and wished Ryan good luck and I went running down the lane to partake in the festivities.

Thankfully John had brought along his grandson Stetson to help us out because those babies can be really fast when they don't want to be caught.


This handy tool seen here is band castrator. You put a tiny little rubber band on it and squeeze the handles and it pulls the band wide open. Slip in the little nut sack and let loose.


Obviously, I do not have a nut sack to worry about but while watching the first "operation" I about fell backwards. I started doing that really nervous giggle and seeing funny floating stars. I asked John how he could do that to the poor little fellas. He gave me a grin and said something but I can't remember what it was because I had a loud noise in my ear that was like a banging drum and I was still a little dizzy. Meanwhile, Stetson is off to the side laughing at me in my total horror.


After 5 of the 6 males were taken care of I decided that maybe I'd like a try. I grabbed Peter giggle, giggle, giggle and proceeded to take care of business. I felt a little awkward grabbing "them" but John told me to make sure that they were both there or else we'd have to try again.


Well, I couldn't hold legs, grab, and work the tool at the same time so John stepped in to the rescue.


After all the boys were banded, they all got a shot in leg to make sure that they didn't get any infections when their balls hit the ground - literally.


It was the funniest dang thing to see all the little billy's flopping around when things were done. They would try to walk but looked like cowboys that had spent a little too much time in the saddle. Laying down must not have been much of a relief either because they'd just flip over to their backs and moan. Poor little Itchy here just flopped down and bleated.

2 comments:

  1. all the farmers and ranchers around us use those "cheerios" on their dogs, too! lol...they are little lifesavers though! better than using the old pocket knife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't thoose two guys cute!!! Trish I'm sure glad Dad aka Farmer John is around to help you out. It's fun to see him help.

    ReplyDelete