Sunday, April 22

Change...

This is a rough post for me. In fact, I've put it off for a few weeks and held my tongue. Come October, the B&M Farm may be no more. There are a couple reasons behind this but lets just suffice to say that it is what it is. And, a lot can change in six months. Or at least I hope it does.

Dad was in desperate need of some "Hurricane Time" so he came down on his days off and helped me with some of the chores. First task was gathering up the herd to go on a visit to Farmer John's. 

The discussion began as having John take them to help eat down his pasture and then bringing them back. And then there was discussion of him buying the five Boer mamas. A couple days later he decided that he also wanted the two Alpine mamas. A few more days later he asked to buy the entire herd - mamas & babies. And just like that, a deal was struck and my herd was gone.

Mama's first


Then the babies


We had quite the rag-tag crew helping us get the goats all herded in the trailer. Of course there was me, Dad, John & my boys but we also ended up with Casey (in the neighborhood...) and The Boys' friend, Cowboy. Not to mention those two pesky dogs.


Unfortunately for you, my readers, this was a smooth loading - no escapes, no head-butts, no stampedes.

So just like that, I am down from 19 goats to just 4. Well, really 3 because Mama doesn't quite belong to me. Yet.


Why keep the remaining 4 you ask? Well, my heart was totally broken and I couldn't give them up. Especially my Lia who is more like another dog that goat. She actually comes when I call her and will walk on a leash.

Alas, the saddest part of this day isn't over. You may remember our noble steed, Stubby.


Stubby was in pretty poor condition when Dad received him - not of malnourishment or anything, just old. I mean, really old. Stubby wasn't expected to make it through last winter, let alone this winter. The poor old boy was having a hard time walking and eating. Dad took one look and him and gave me the look. Through teared eyes I nodded that I understood and we loaded Stubby into the trailer for one last ride.



So all in all, it was a pretty shitty day for me. My herd is gone, my horse is dead and I don't know what the future holds. I wish I had the answers. I wish I knew what decisions to make. But I don't so we'll take this day by day.

5 comments:

  1. Fruit and vegetable stand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could tell you what would make this any easier, but having animals means eventually having your heart broke. We (me) planted trees or bushes to honor and commemorate the ones that move on to greener pastures, I still can't walk past the spot we buried Sweet Pea or Booner without totally getting misty. But in the end, it is better for them not to suffer, even if it means you have to for a little while, I just know there will be one big happy reunion for me somewhere in a big field of grass and flowers sometime down the line. So sorry about Stubby...at least you can drive by and see the goats...

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like that poor pony had cushings disease...can't shed, and often they have laminitis so bad that their feet are in excruciating pain...so good for you to let him go to greener pastures :) Too bad for your golden, what's he gonna hump now?! ha ha..

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I was not there. However, we could have held each other and let the tears flow together. Love you & my prayers are looking for a good answer too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize Jack was there on this sad day for you. I'm so sorry about your horse and this whole situation. I hope everything works out. Even if you don't have the B&M farm...you are always going to be farm girl! Seriously you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete