Sunday, October 2

How B&M Farms Began

It's actually a bit of a long story, but here we go.

My parents have a beautiful home and 2.5 acres in Hurricane, UT. The economy took a dive and dad had a hard time finding work. He was able to score a job in Salt Lake City working for UTA doing the matienence for their buildings. Since mom is so awesome and hated to be away from him, she moved up there too.

Problem is, they needed someone to take care of the place - you know, the house, gardens, flowers, lawns and oh - the horse, 11 goats, 9 chickens, 5 cats, and a dog.

Enter Ryan and I. We own a home about 15 minutes away but have been chomping at the bit to get back to Hurricane. This seemed like a perfect opportunity for us to start working towards permenently returning. So we put our place up for rent and moved to the farm.

Not long after moving in my younger brother Andy and I were talking and he said he was interested in moving his family out of Las Vegas back to Utah. I told him that there was room in our house and it grew from a single household to a dual-household.

You may be asking yourself how that works - and you're not alone. Most people raise their eyebrows and ask if we're kidding [what I really think they mean is "you must be stupid"]. We each pay rent and split the groceries and utilities. It's that simple. There is enough respect between us that it just works.

Now, I realize that it is a long shot by calling what we have a Farm. An assortment of animals & a little land isn't much but it's enough to get started. A few years ago I started getting really interested in gardening. Our soil was really bad at our home and I was determined to get something to grow. After working on that and making some headway, I realized that I really liked working with my hands and getting dirty. I liked being able to grow my own food and preserve it. And you know what, I wasn't too bad at it.

The next step was to acquire some chickens. Living in a cul-de-sac with pretty strict HOA requirements told me that this was a no-no. But I didn't give a fig what they thought and would deny having them if asked. Our first hens were (and still are) Lucy, Rosie, and Betsy. These girls pop out three beautiful, brown eggs everyday. You haven't ate eggs until you've ate one fresh from a chickens, well, you know...

But I still had dreams of having an actual farm. When mom & dad made their offer I jumped all over it without realizing what it would entail but I didn't care. I would have land, animals, and a better place to raise my kids.

This blog is a place for me to come and write down the daily events of what goes on around here and the steps we take to achieve our dream of running a farm. It's not going to be easy but I'm really excited about the upcoming journey.

1 comment:

  1. I love the household set-up! there really are a lot of things that seem appealing. Glad its all working out good for you guys! Love the blog idea. =)

    ReplyDelete