Friday, November 18

Delayed...

My deepest apologies to my faithful readers. It has been awhile since I've posted and there's been a few good stories that need to be shared. Fact of the matter is, I'm not what you would consider the best blogger. Sometimes I get distracted.

Anyway, let's bring you up to snuff on the goings around here...

Our loverly mama goat #802 gave birth to two healthy and happy males a few weeks past. She doesn't have a name because there are three of them that look really similar and it's quicker to just look at their ear tags then remember a name. They babies have been named Koda & Keenai (from the movie Brother Bear).


The four babies are really fun to watch. They like to run, jump, and head-butt each other. This week they have learned to mount each other which is interesting considering that there's only one female. Can goats be gay?

Now that Fall is here the pasture is no longer green. I go out and feed everyone morning and night so they really don't need to 'graze' all day long. I had decided not to corral them for the winter yet because I thought that they would enjoy the room to roam. Well, they did. A little too much. So much in fact that they broke the circle of trust and started jumping fences.

Monday morning I glanced out the window to notice that 3 of the ladies were out on a walk. Both of the boys were taking naps so I alerted Sammi, grabbed my flipflops and headed out the door. It took me two seconds to find out where they had escaped - a weak spot that I didn't realize they were privy to. I decide that instead of putting them back in the field that they would need to go to the corrals so that I can fix the fence before they jump out again. Of course it would be Martha, 800, and 801. Down the lane we go and I am amazed at how easily they are cooperating. This should have been a sign.

They start running and head for the corrals but at the last second, juke me out and go for the hay. Now, this is close quarters and I need to get by them so that I can open the gate. This causes major panic and number 800 climbs to the top of the haystack and jumps off the other side - easily 8 feet. Oh, did I mention she's still pregnant?

At least she landed safely but the other two are still on the run. Martha could compete in the Livestock Olympics in sprinting. She's fast. I mean, really fast. She's down the lane before I can blink but 801 is sticking around and trying to figure out how to get back to the herd. She is also pregnant but stubborn and stupid. We played ring-a-round-the-rosies a couple times and between cuss words and yelling I managed to find a rope to try to lasso her with. Just try and picture that if you can. It didn't work out too well. This particular incident caused me a few scratches and a bruise on my shin. I finally have her pinned in a corner and she slips under the barbed wire, beneath a metal pole, and into the field behind ours. I figure, 'Screw it, she'll come back when she's thirsty'.

Back on to Martha. Martha and I have had a few escapades together. If someone is out, 4 out of 5 times it's her. She fast, sprite, and limber. She has made her way back down the lane and is munching in the garden. When she sees me coming she high-tails it back to where she escaped from. Turns out, getting in was harder than getting out. After some smooth maneuvering on my part, I get her back in. Halle-freakin'lujah.

As I walk in the house, I notice that 801 has gotten into the neighbors field to the east. This is no problem because our fields connect and she's spent time there before. However, I have fenced off the opening so that they couldn't go that way for the rest of the winter - too many escape routes...

About 30 minutes later I look out at the herd and they are all gone. Only Two-Short and her babies are in the field. Shit.

The herd has broken down the fence that connects us to the neighbors and have bailed into the field behind ours. Double shit.

During my rant of profanities, I calm down enough to figure out that something has to be done. I call Ryan and in my sweetest, most convincing voice, ask him to please drop everything and come home to help me. After a chuckle or two, he agreed to switch around some appointments and come help me round up the herd. While explaining the situation to his client, she asks if he's kidding about having to reschedule so that he can go home and corral his goats. No kidding sweetheart, this is our life.

Ryan, mommy, The Boy, and The Babe in tow, we head out to the corrals and start moving panels. Ryan seems to be a Goat Whisperer of sorts and easily get the gals in the pen. We get to work making the corral large enough to house everyone comfortably. Again, I have to give props to Ryan on this one. He had put up a lot of fencing in the past few months and had done a real swell job at it. It's not perfect but the ladies are contained and have no way out - well, until they start climbing or some other confounded thing...

The only thing I feel bad about with this situation is that these three - Lia, Flopsy, and Goliath - get picked on by the older goats. They spend most of their time huddled up together in a corner. Lia & Flopsy will have to get tough and Goliath is the male of the herd and I'm sure he'll make himself known soon enough.

On a good note to end this craziness, Martha has become quite friendly with me. Whenever I go out there she comes right up to me and nuzzles my hand so that I'll scratch behind her ears. It's actually pretty sweet...

1 comment:

  1. Great story, it's the nuzzling thing that makes you forget momentarily about all the other stuff you have to put up with....good thing Ryan is a whisperer!

    ReplyDelete